"This is the violet hour, the hour of hush and wonder, when the affectations glow and valor is reborn, when the shadows deepen along the edge of the forest and we believe that, if we watch carefully, at any moment we may see the unicorn."


Monday, September 17, 2012

Sailing


These days, I *surface* up  out of the Opera House to enjoy a free day! Last Saturday, I did just that with a new-found friend, Birgit.  She is a German Journalist who is doing a feature interview with one of our *Rigolettos*.  We met at a Dress Rehearsal....and swapped *Opera Backstage Stories*... then, much to my surprise, she invited me to go sailing with her!  Of course, I said yes!  Now, I am a Sea-lover to be sure, but I have NEVER sailed in San Francisco on our choppy waters.  But, *armed* with Ginger Capsules 
(to prevent sea-sickness), I met Birgit at the San Francisco Sailing Company.

I arrived a bit early so I could photograph the *infamous* Sea Lions at Pier 39.  All was still and relatively quiet...very few tourists up and about ..


Even this fellow was sound asleep!




But, this BIG GUY was wide awake!  And so were his friends!





I met Birgit and we found our Ship, the Santa Maria.



It was one of those typical San Francisco *Summer* Days....sunshine to the East, thick fog to the West.


We boarded, along with fifteen other *brave souls* - and set off..



The Bay Bridge and some fog and blue skies!
Alcatraz
Coit Tower and foggy skies..

Headed West...towards the Fog-Shrouded Golden Gate....


Nearing the Bridge....  it was really cold and windy, and the waves were beginning to intensify!


Time for Mimosas!

You can see we dressed for the occasion!  A-ha-ha!



Sailing directly under the Golden Gate!  Too cool!





The waters were definitely getting choppier!





Then, a freighter appeared..... hmmmm..who has the *right of way*?




 They did!  A-ha-ha!


Whew!  That was close!




Sails against the Bridge....it was a glorious experience!

I hope you enjoyed sailing along!

Love,

♥ Robin ♥



5 comments:

  1. wow that's amazing! I sailed there once with my brother and his friends and I just prayed to the gods to make it back to land safely. it looks cold out there, but beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what fun. It looked cold tho. We used to sale in SO CAL when I lived there. Not to far out in the sea tho. mostly around Newport Harbor but that could get pretty hairy with so many Sunday sailor's. lol Nice you made a new friend to share this adventure with..Love the Seals too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great day!!!! Thanks for taking us along. So many neat things to see.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowza!! How brave of you, and what a different perspective to see the City from the Bay. Oh how wonderful!!

    Did the ginger capsules help?? Truly want to know, as I love to float on the water but am prone to... ahem.

    Thanks for sharing more wonderfulness,
    xoxo,
    Trixie

    ReplyDelete
  5. boy you sure are brave. i'm not a boat person and those waters looked rough. but how neat to see the city from a boat. glad you found a new friend. (have had a hard time with my internet connection lately and also doing so much detailed work has left me not wanting to blog much.) but I miss you and all my friends.

    ReplyDelete