"This is the violet hour, the hour of hush and wonder, when the affectations glow and valor is reborn, when the shadows deepen along the edge of the forest and we believe that, if we watch carefully, at any moment we may see the unicorn."


Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Foggy Day

I decided to to walk down to Ft. Point (right under the Golden Gate Bridge).  It's a great hike for me and it is so beautiful - even in the fog!

It's fun to stand right at the edge of the path and watch the waves splash when they hit the shore!  ( Of course, this is at low tide....)
If you "embiggen" this, you will see Mr. Seagull, proudly perched on this rock!  He *greeted* me with a gully-shriek....but I couldn't aim fast enough to catch him with his beak open!
Right under the bridge.....for those of you Alfred Hitchcock fans, this is where Kim Novak's character jumped into the Bay...only to have James Stewart *rescue her*...in "Vertigo".  (My all-time favourite Hitchcock film.)


Just as I was getting ready to begin my walk home....I was fortunate to see a ship sailing out into the Pacific!  (A side note, you see the chainlink fence to the left....as of 9/10/01, you could walk all the way under the side of the bridge....it was thrilling....but after 9/11/01 ....it became a thing of the past..)


And last, but certainly not least.....I was thrilled to meet Mr. Pelican!  I have NEVER been so close to one before...  you can see he has a blue band on his leg....so *once upon a time* he was injured and banded.... he is perfectly healthy now....and rather friendly....  we actually made eye contact....they have the most extraordinary eyes...so wise....it was a wonderful ending to my walk!

Sending you all many hugs and love,

♥ Robin ♥

9 comments:

  1. the pelican is wonderful. and i love the views of the bay and the bridge. not nearly as glamorous but nice in its own way, the two bridges onto Cape Cod you can also walk under and still can do. there's a lovely bike path between the bridges.

    but the golden gate is just spectacular. and yes, when you show these shots i always think of A. Hitchcock not to mention a few other older movies set in SF like the Maltese Falcon. thank you. i love these SF walks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful.....that is how I remember the Golden Gate so often. In fact, I think I only remember once or twice that we could see the tops of the towers!
    We spent much time in the area you photographed and what a flood of memories, especially with that rusted chain and the rocks. (Mother was sure I was set on self-destruction but I just wanted to get to the WATER!!!)
    Mr. Pelican looked VERY HAPPY to pose~~they are such lovely birds and so interesting too.
    Wonderful trip; thank you! Thank you! My little bit of San Fran.... :-)

    XXOO~~
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool pix. I love that bridge. How long did it take you to walk there? I didn't know they blocked people from going under the Bridge after 9 11. Interesting facts here. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suki, you are always on my mind too whenever I shoot any SF photos these days! I was actually happy for the foggy skies because it was so apt in recalling Hitchcock's famous scene in "Vertigo".

    Next time you are at the Cape, I hope you will photogtaph those bridges! I would love to see them!

    Love to you and Bibitty,

    ♥ Robin ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anne! I now think of you too whenever I wander through the Presidio! I am glad you enjoyed my little "tour"..... I had fun shooting those photos and just inhaling the smell of the Ocean and the sound of the waves crashing against the rocks!

    Love,

    ♥ Robin ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chris....I love your "play on words"....."Cool Pix"..... taken on a cool, grey day! A-ha-ha!

    I actually don't live too far from the Bridge via car.... but, when I hike through the many hills and glens in the Presidio, it takes me about 90 minutes or so to reach Ft. Point. So, a three hour hike to make it back home....but it's a great workout!

    Sad about the chain link fence being installed.....but the bridge would be a tempting taget for terriosts...so I guess blocking this access is necessary. (There are always guards there nowdays too...... sigh...)
    One of my most astonishing sights was standing out under the Bridge on a REALLY foggy day....one could barely see 2 feet in front and the thick fog muffled all sound.... suddenly, without warning, "crashing" out of the fog, a HUGE ship emerged - seemingly right in front of me....it was thrilling, a bit scary, but otherworldly and magnificent.

    I hope your week will be warm and wonderful!

    Hugs,

    ♥ Robin ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey, blogger must have eaten my comment! I hate that.

    Robin, I can literally feel the weight and coldness of this thick blanket of fog. My wish for you is total sunshine while we're all shoveling snow. Enough already!!

    I embiggened the seagull who also looks cold. And the pelican is so wise and stately looking!
    These photos definately have a Hitchcock feel!

    I wish I could have gone on that walk with you. Soon we'll be walking here!

    Sending hugs and sunshine~

    xoxo
    B♥S

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought I commented on here, but it must've been facebook....I love your photos. I have always enjoyed visiting SFC and miss living in California ;-) All my best wishes for a happy week (hugs)

    Doris and Gizzy
    (bis bald!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two of my favorite bridges are the Golden Gate and the Verazzano Narrows bridge - both wonderful art and engineering. and i love the foggy look - it makes for lovely picture

    ReplyDelete