"This is the violet hour, the hour of hush and wonder, when the affectations glow and valor is reborn, when the shadows deepen along the edge of the forest and we believe that, if we watch carefully, at any moment we may see the unicorn."


Monday, April 12, 2010

"Liebestod"


Last night, I went to see renown Soprano, Christine Brewer, sing, among other things, the beautiful "Liebestod" from "Tristan und Isolde". (My FAVOURITE Opera.) I actually had reservations about attending - because I knew it would be an emotional evening. But, compelled, I went... Many of you know that last year, I parted with the love of my life. We had been together for 16 years.... and I thought we would be forever.... one of the many things we shared was a love of Opera... particularly, THIS Opera. Last night, was the first time I heard it live since "C" was no longer in my life. I would be lying if I told you that I sat there, stoically, like an Ice-Maiden..... the tears began to slowly trickle at the very first notes.... but, as Ms. Brewer continued her impassioned aria, my mind wandered and I began to think of Renee, of KJ, of Lo, of Joss, of Annie, of Suki - so many having suffered some kind of "Love/Death"...(the actual meaning of "Liebestod")....and I suddenly felt uplifted - no longer sad. You accept your heartache, your loss, and you reach out to Life - to Friends, to Family...to Nature... Living is a GIFT - and we would all be foolish to toss it aside and continue to live in the realm of sadness and sorrow.
A postscript: After the concert, my friend and I were leaving and we ran into Ms. Brewer, so I was able to chat with her for five minutes and we shared our feelings about the magic this music brings to one's soul.
I hope Spring abounds where ever you are today! It is raining here....but Spring is in my ♥.
Love,
♥ Robin ♥




7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! That you could face an anticipated sadness at hearing your favorite opera, and be transformed in this way, is wonderful.

    My Dad loved opera and Britt-Arnhild of Norway does too and her brother is a conductor I believe.

    Lucky you to get to speak to Ms. Brewer. Keep spring in your heart, Robin and the flowers will soon bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Suki said is perfect. I am so glad you had this happen, also happy you got to talk to Ms Brewer. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the concert with me, Dear One, it was such a gift. That we swam through the rains to get there made it even more poignant.

    After rain there is mud on the ground, but it will dry eventually and walking forward should get easier (so I do hope). xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful, poignant post Robin. I'm so glad you braved both storms, inner and outer.
    Things like going to a favorite opera, or going to what used to be both of your favorite restaurant, all of this will get easier. One day out of the blue you'll laugh for no reason, just as you'll cry when you hear a certain song or smell a certain scent.

    Time and friends are there to help you heal.
    And Ms. Brewer, just what the doctor ordered!

    Be well. Love and blessings~♥
    Lo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suki, thank you for your wonderful words. I KNEW you would understand. I will have to check out Britt-Arnhild's blog.

    Anne, as always, thank you for your love and strength.

    Dustin - yes, we had quite an adventure! I ♥ your rain/mud analogy.

    Lo, I think you are right.... time and friends can work miracles!

    Love to you all,

    ♥ Robin ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. I grew up listening to Opera and I took the children since they were very young to enjoy the beauty and magnificence of a well staged opera. They were lucky, they got to see and hear some of the best voices of the past 40 years. I was lucky too, I was able to pass to them my love and appreciation for the beauty of Opera.

    I know of you heartache, how things can end in a second by fate or by death. How memories can pierce the strongest of shields we can arm ourselves with, how a note can bring an avalanche of emotions we can hardly contain within our heart. But love and life are to be lived. I rather have the memories of a true love affair than the loss of never having felt the passion of that love.

    You will survive, you will thrive. When the time is right and that only your heart will know, you will find the way back to that place where we believe that nothing but forever will do. Until then, give time to time to heal the wounds. You are on your way, Spring is coming and there are some wonderful recordings out there to keep us Opera lovers happy when we need to be. Take care of yourself, you are valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah robin....

    First I must tell you that I can't seem to link you so I know when you've posted. Please excuse my delays until I figure it out.

    I have a feeling broken hearts learn how to love even more. This year you and I are going to prove that

    I am so glad you have a blog!! And I love coming here to hear so many people I already love

    together strong

    love
    kj

    ReplyDelete