"This is the violet hour, the hour of hush and wonder, when the affectations glow and valor is reborn, when the shadows deepen along the edge of the forest and we believe that, if we watch carefully, at any moment we may see the unicorn."


Sunday, August 1, 2010

Grey, Gray, and More Greyness...









Hmm...it's a good thing I took photos of those blue skies and yellow moon...because, I have not seen them at all since I last posted. All I see, morning or evening is grey, grey and more grey.....

Here are some photos I took this morning enroute to my Volunteer shift at the de Young.




The photo on the right shows one of my favourite sculptures in Golden Gate Park - Don Quixote and Sancho Panza kneeling at the foot of Cervantes..... yes, I AM a DREAMER too....so, I search and never (quite) give up hope for a dream to be realised.




The "Tower" of the de Young Museum.. shrouded in mist.. the top floor is open to the public for free and offers a 360 degree panoramic view of the park... (even with grey skies, it's still magical). The lower floors are the administrative offices.





Last, but certainly not least is the fountain/pond where months ago, baby ducklings were born.... no ducks now....and no turtles (although they do live here....but wisely, only surface when the sun shines....). However, the Lotus Plants are slowly beginning to blossom...we have yellow and rosey-pink ones..... I will show them to you as they continue to flourish.

My mood these days is as grey as the skies...it is hard to smile and "shine'" under so much persistent grey.... but, like Don Quixote, I am still trying.....

Love.

♥ Robin ♥

17 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love your picture of the lotus in the pond... so very Asian... harks back to when the Asian Art Museum was in GGPark. Such a beautiful, peaceful picture. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Robin, if people haven't been there it's hard to explain that it's not only grey, it's bloody damn cold! Summers used to bum be out there. Now that I'm back in the land of sticky, hot and humid, what I wouldn't give for a day or two of fog. But, not months of it :(

    Sending you sunshine as best I can...and love too!

    xo♥
    Love, Lo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lo, I am so thankful YOU "get it" and can understand how I feel.

    Love,

    ♥ Robin ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these shots of your lovely gray neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My parents took me to see "The Man of La mancha" when I was in high school. I was stunned by the whole production (live theater). It became one of my favorite musicals. Thanks for reminding me, now my head is singing the songs and a smile is on my lips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the song dulcinea keeps running through my head as do images of tilting at windmills. i love man of la mancha.

    sorry to hear about all the greyness. it HAS to lift sometime, tho.......sending sunny wishes your way♡

    p.s. please tell more about what you do at the deYoung!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Robin, i know i know i do! it's the same here. But after my run in with fire this weekend i have a renewed appreciation for grey.
    I was wondering, what about putting on a sunfilled movie, something to warm you and take you away?

    I remember when my children were small and the winter was endless, we would have indoor picnics, while watching something fun and light (and warm!) they still remember it today.

    In the meantime i'm crossing my fingers(and toes) that that those blue skies will return to you.

    :) + hugs + ♥

    lori

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Lori has the right idea. You know me, I like the fog and I hate the heat, but I do feel for you, I know a little sun would help your mood, so I am sending prayers. Keep trying.Love. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing your photos.We did a 4 week house swop in Berkeley and we came into SF and did something different every day . It is a fabulous city.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah Willow....it IS lovely....but after four months of almost continual cold....it's a bit much. Unhealthy for body and soul..it's the coldest Spring/Summer we have had in forty years.....and no break in sight....

    Hugs,

    ♥ Robin ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Suki, I love "Man of La Mancha" too.....and (you KNEW this was coming, there even is an opera called "Don Quixote"...although I confess it is not as stirring as the musical...

    I always smile when I pass the statue....

    Love,

    ♥ Robin ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Amanda! Thank you for your sunny wishes....alas, I am still living in fog....
    (rather like your Persephone living in the Underworld)...

    I don't really "work" at the de Young....just run the information desk on weekends... it is a fun venue to be at ...

    Hugs from brrr..... chilly San Frtancisco!

    ♥ Robin ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lori, I read about your narrow escape....how scary....

    As for renting "sunny" movies.....
    I have.....one can't get more sun and hot desert sand than watching Lawrence of Arabia"... it does help!

    WARM Hugs to you and Owen!

    ♥ Robin ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anne, I think four continous months of cold and fog - when it ISN'T Winter would change your mind.

    Love, always,

    ♥ Robin ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marguerite...hello and thnk you for stopping by. House swaps are definitely the way to go these days.... staying for a month allows you to get a feel for the area... Berkeley is really nice.....and close to SF!

    ♥ Robin ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm trying to think of ways to enjoy grey skies. We get them alot in winter and suddenly they will get very grey and snow falls in huge flakes. I actually love that - love watching it, love being home in the snow.

    my brother also complained about grey and cold but in CA one can always drive inland a little bit for a hit of sunshine - can you do that?
    Hope you are feeling a little bit lifted up....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mim, thank you for your words of encouragement... alas, I can't drive anywhere.
    A few years back, my ex told me to sell my car...as I was going to move to NY and he already had a car....so, I did. Now, when money is tight, I cannot afford to buy another...and even if I could, who would sell a car to a person with no job? No, I fear I am "stuck" in my little grey prison...praying for some sun perhaps next month.

    Hugs,

    ♥ Robin ♥

    ReplyDelete