"This is the violet hour, the hour of hush and wonder, when the affectations glow and valor is reborn, when the shadows deepen along the edge of the forest and we believe that, if we watch carefully, at any moment we may see the unicorn."


Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Animal Wednesday - Swan Lake

I'm posting this a bit early as tomorrow will be a busy day....


Last week, just back from NY, I heard that the two *Resident Swans*, who live in the Palace of Fine Arts Lake, (and whose photographs I took a few weeks back - not knowing they were expecting), became the proud parents of six Cygnets (baby Swans).  We in SF don't have many Swans - let alone babies....so, this past weekend, I hiked down with my camera, hoping to *meet* them.



I circled the lake, no Swans in sight....  it was early though.....so I kept strolling, hoping.....and suddenly, I heard some gentle *honks*...... Papa appeared....and one by one, the Cygnets descended into the water...




Mama came at the end....making sure everyone was there!



Okay......everybody in?  Let's go....



The babies are always varying shades of grey and fuzzy beyond belief. After their first year, they begin to turn snowy white.



The parents continued to make comforting honking sounds and the babies *peeped - non-stop* rather like Ducklings or Goslings...




The Beautiful Family *Flotilla*



Drifting out into the centre of the Lake.....time for breakfast!



Ummm...found some delicious reeds to nibble!


Aren't they beautiful!

HAW!  

Dear friends, on Thursday, SF Opera rehearsals begin....yes....(sorry for those of you who don't like my Operatic Posts).... time to report on all the goings-on's backstage for our three Summer Operas:

1. *Nixon in China*....(yes, this is a real opera)
2. *Attila*
3. *The Magic Flute




 If you are having a stressful day....just think about those Swans......


Love,

♥ Robin ♥

14 comments:

  1. How wonderful you found them! I know how much you love them.
    Today something happened with a swan of the highway and a truckdriver and a van blocked the road to keep the swan safe. I dont know how it ended but it guess happy.
    I looked for the swans in the moat but couldnt spot them. I expect them to get little ones soon also . And Marja has a nest nearby too!

    HAW♥
    m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy that Truck Driver got involved and stopped traffic to help the Swan!

      I hope your Swans soon have some fuzzy, grey Cygnets! I just love watching them glide freely through the water...but staying close to Mummy!

      Love, and a special kiss for the *Mole Hunter*!

      ♥ Robin ♥

      Delete
  2. Love-love-LOVE the swan photos! Oh those babies are just a delightful bundle of FUZZY!!!
    Glad you hung around until they came out for their private photo session... ;-)
    And hurrah on Opera Season beginning! I know you'll be busy...

    XXOO~~
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne...you make me smile....I did think of you when I saw the Cygnets *fuzzy* selves!
      They are so sweet....peeping away.....

      Saw my first rehearsal yesterday...it felt great to be back in my *2nd Home*!

      Love to my dear *FBBBFF*,

      ♥ Robin ♥

      Delete
  3. Oh lucky you to have such beauty. I haven't seen one in person in years and there you have all those little babies that they brought out to show off for you. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cris...I hadn't seen a Cygnet in years either....it was a real delight to see six! I could have spent the entire day following them around, filming....

      I was really thrilled the Parents decided to show off their babies for me!

      Love to all 4,

      ♥ Robin ♥

      Delete
  4. I love to watch swans but am cautious of them esp when they are with their babies. These pics are beautiful. I for one look forward to your opera pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mim....usually you are right....but the parents were especially sweet and docile...no hissing!

      Hooray - I am glad you like my Opera Posts....one coming soon... first rehearsal of *Nixon in China* was yesterday...and...I really liked it!

      Love,

      ♥ Robin ♥

      Delete
  5. They're so beautiful!
    I love watching how the little ones stay right behind Mama. A perfect picture of motherhood.
    I like seeing your opera posts too.The costumes fascinate me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Babs...you are right....the way the babies follow so closely is perfect Motherhood.... she zigged, they zigged....she zagged, so did they!

      Hooray - 2 positive Opera Post fans! Wait till you see the sets for *Nixon*...they include a jumbo jet!

      Hugs,

      ♥ Robin ♥

      Delete
  6. OMG, what a fabulous experience seeing all that beauty and family life. I am so happy you went there and shared it with us. And I'm happy for me to get enough internet to see it.
    And Opera starting. YEAH, love hearing all about it.

    Love those swans and all their beauty. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Teri...I feel terrible that your Internet is not cooperating...it is so frustrating! I am glad you saw my post though - because I knew you would be uplifted when you saw the Swan Family!
      (Me too....)

      Miss you!

      Love,

      ♥ Robin ♥

      Delete
  7. Oh thank you so much for hiking down there. These little guys are so sweet. what an experience. Have fun with the opera season this year. Interesting group of operas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suki.... thought of you too when I saw the little ones... what could be sweeter than those babies!!

      You, especially, might like these particular Operas.... I wasn't too sure about *Nixon in China*...but after 7 houre of rehearsal.....I am really impressed....

      Love to you and Bibitty.....miss you!

      ♥ Robin ♥

      Delete