"This is the violet hour, the hour of hush and wonder, when the affectations glow and valor is reborn, when the shadows deepen along the edge of the forest and we believe that, if we watch carefully, at any moment we may see the unicorn."


Tuesday, May 15, 2012

More Bites From the Big Apple

More Central Park Photos



The Carousel....this is for you, Lo!




Inside the Metropolitan Museum

Inside the Egyptian Room, gazing out through the window and seeing some blue sky!  In yesterday's post, you saw this window, shot from the outside....this entire section of the Museum is shaped as a pyramid!

Part of the Temple of  Dendur, discovered in the 1880's..... it is quite large - you can walk inside and see some of the 1800 version of graffiti.... consisting of the archaeologists etching their names on the inside walls!






My most adored piece in the entire Museum.....the Tiffany Fountain.



It consists of thousands of mosaic tiles.....they form this lovely portrait of an Italian Villa, complete with Swans.  In the centre, there is a real fountain which splashes gently..... years ago, as a child, I was given a journal with a reproduction of this fountain on the cover. I remember my first visit to the Met, turning a corner and - gasp - there was *my Fountain*.....  I was in love!  I would visit it regularly any time I was at the museum....until four years ago, it was moved into storage.....  you can imagine my delight when I found it was back!

A close-up of some of the fountain detail..


Here are some more Tiffany *Jewels*




There was also a special exhibit of Albrecht Durer, the famous German Painter, Printsman and Art Theorist.  I loved seeing some of his astounding work.





And....a fabulous exhibit featuring the astounding designs of Elsa Schiaprelli and Miuccia Prada.  Though 50 years separate these two ladies, there are similarities in their concept of how to clothe women - and yes, some men too.  I was amused to see that some of the Mannequins moved their eyes and smiled like the ones in Jean Paul Gaultier's Exhibit.  (But, alas, they didn't talk!)

The exhibit just opened the day prior to my being there.....and...ironically (and proving just what a *small world* it really is), as I was exiting the exhibit, I heard someone call out *Robin*......I looked around - and there was one of my SF Opera Colleagues!  She was in NY to see *The Ring* and a few plays....  Now the Met is a HUGE museum...and the odds of our meeting there - at that precise moment - was too funny!


The other Museum I visited is also a favourite - the Frick.




The Frick Collection includes some of the best-known paintings by the greatest European artists, major works of sculpture (among them one of the finest groups of small bronzes in the world), superb eighteenth-century French furniture and porcelains, Limoges enamels and oriental rugs. The Frick Collection was founded by Henry Clay Frick (1849-1919), the Pittsburgh coke and steel industrialist. At his death, Mr. Frick bequeathed his New York mansion and the most outstanding of his many art works to establish a public gallery for the purpose of “encouraging and developing the study of the fine arts.”  I love to spend an afternoon here...it is much smaller than the Met but just lovely....a real jewel box of a museum.


The Inner Garden Courtyard.....one can sit here and dream away.....or rest one's feet after a day of absorbing all of this art!

Back in Central Park....  I had hoped to catch the beautiful Lamps that dot the park as they begin to shine, *Glow-Worm like* at twilight....they are even more beautiful when it is dark out....but I was tired and needed to return to my hotel, take my shoes off and have a glass of wine....so this is the best i could do!






And....there was some time for.....Shopping!  My favourite store in all the world - and that includes Harrods!  Bergdorf Goodman!!!  I did buy two things....a sweater and a dress....of course, my Bergdorf's account was inactive after four years.....but....the sales associate quickly *re-activated* me.....and I was off, carrying my coveted Lilac Shopping Bag!  A-ha-ha!





So here I am home....in the Foggy City By the Bay....  but I had a glorious time...and here are some of my *souvenirs*!



Tomorrow....my meeting with Bofie!  (You KNOW I had to save that for Animal Wednesday!)

Love,

♥ Robin ♥

12 comments:

  1. Aaaah, I loved this and your previous post thoroughly!
    Everything about it, the Park, and the museums,,,I remember it all. I saw everything in such a whirlwind tour though. How I'd have loved to actually spend a lot of time there.
    I felt I was running, running, the entire week I spent.
    Looking forward to seeing your Boffie post.
    Thanks Robin for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Babs! Visiting NY CAN make one feel that running is the only option! It's that kind of town....except for the Park....which has always been my slow-down refuge.... you know how huge it is....and I only showed a fraction of it....as I didn't have enough time to wander from end-to-end.....

      I hope you are having fun on your holiday!!!

      Hugs,

      ♥ Robin ♥

      Delete
  2. so you visited memories....

    i'm glad the fountain returned for you. and i closed my eyes to see the glow worm lights at night. i'm enjoying your new york , robin. and a dress and a sweater: is that the little black dress?

    :^)

    love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KJ.... it was the first thing I asked when I bought my ticket....and (of course) the info person was clueless..... so, I was off on a mad dash to the Tiffany Room....
      I was as happy as a child on Christmas Morning! I love that you saw the Glow-Worms....I wanted to get some photos of a particular subway station lamp too....which glows greenly...but...sigh there just wasn't enough time.

      I brought an old *Little Black Dress* with me....just in case I would be dining out....I bought a beige-y linen Summery dress...and a tangerine-coloured
      cashmere sweater (on sale)...

      Love,

      ♥ Robin ♥

      Delete
  3. One of my dreams is to visit NY one day- hope we will meet if I do. Love all your pics. xxxx from London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jossie....wouldn't it be wild for a group of us to meet there for a few days! A-ha-ha! It would be the *updated version * of Sex in the City!!! One day.....

      Love,

      ♥ Robin ♥

      Delete
  4. ah robin. it is so lovely to read of how wonderfully you treated yourself to art, the park, your favorite store in the world with lilac shopping bags. you are amazing. i just love reading about your many "loves." such as the fountain. your enthusiasm for life and art and beauty seems boundless and is "catching." ha.

    and i did have to chuckle at your running into a friend.

    by the by, thank you for my hedgehog post card. beautiful painting, it almost looks like an etching but it does say watercolor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suki....I am glad you are *catching my fever*! I came back feeling revitalised...
      and that's not counting my time with Chris and Bofie. Spending time in a place I adore was really healthy for me....and seeing it through older eyes made it even more precious!

      The Hedgie is a Durer.....I stared at the original for a while.....I just loved it - and was thrilled to find a postcard.....so HAD to send it to you!

      Love,

      ♥ Robin ♥

      Delete
  5. Omgosh.....now I want to see NYC even MORE....with the right GUIDE of course!
    It fascinates me; it is such a city of contrast and culture and the best and worst of everything. I look at New York and see what the country was built on~~I know, it is an odd view, but somehow most of our families made their way thru....
    Lovely post R!

    XXOO~~♥
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne...you are so right.....NY contains the Best and Worst of Life.... of course, I didn't photograph the sad side....and there is a lot...but, there is so much beauty too...not just in all of the available art and fashion....but the simple glory of the park, the animals who live there....

      Yes....most of our families did come to America via Ellis Island.... mine did.

      We WOULD have a grand time there....who knows what the future will bring!!!

      Love you, *FBBBFF*,

      ♥ Robin ♥

      Delete
  6. I thouroughly enjoyked seeing all your pics and reading your adventures!
    You have such an eye for little special things! I love that!
    And yes the world is small tell me about it!
    How cool you met an opera friend there!
    I don't remember being in the Frick museum but I think will one day, sounds wonderful. Seen the Met with Felix and that Egyptian part with him.
    happy for you the fountain was back!
    Dear what a great trip you have had!
    ♥M

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, M....you would love the Frick..... it is a small, but gorgeous Museum...it is, beyond a doubt, my favourite NY Museum....(and there are so many I didn't have time to visit this trip..)

    I'm thrilled you and Felix made it to the Egyptian Room at the Met!!! It really is breathtaking!

    Love......and many, many, many healing kisses to Sjimmie!

    ♥ R ♥

    ReplyDelete