"This is the violet hour, the hour of hush and wonder, when the affectations glow and valor is reborn, when the shadows deepen along the edge of the forest and we believe that, if we watch carefully, at any moment we may see the unicorn."


Monday, May 14, 2012

New York, New York...It's STILL a Wonderful Town!

The view from Central Park South.....I stayed at the wonderful Essex House.

Wow!  I can scarcely believe I was there.....and now am back again!  
It always amazes me to think that I leave San Francisco, looking down at the Pacific Ocean....and a mere five hours later, I am staring down at the Atlantic Ocean! I had great flights - both ways....I LUV *Virgin America*!


I had a lot of goals in my few days in the *Big Apple*....photograph some of my favourite parts, visit the Frick and Metropolitan Museums and perhaps meet up with my Ex and see Bofie...  and hey.....I did all of that!


My first two days were showery.....so the skies were grey....

One of the many beautiful tunnels in Central Park. There are several, and each one is completely different architecturally.

Look closely and you will see a touch of LILAC in the tree....I had missed  the Cherry and Plum Trees blossoming.....but, everything was lush and green.

My favourite lake with the City Skyline shrouded in mist....

King Stanislaus of Poland....  I have loved this statue for years...

This little vine-like shelter leads down to my most beloved part of Central Park.. it began to pour....and I was happy to be nearby to seek cover!




Here is my beloved pond..during my years in NY, I have photographed this spot in all four seasons...it  ALWAYS spoke to me since I first walked here.  During my last trip, in 2008, the surrounding site was under construction....and I feared I would never walk here again.
A Castle in Central Park?  Of course, the beautiful Belvedere Castle...there's a Turtle Pond below it and to the right, out of sight, an open-air theater, where Shakespeare and other plays are performed during warm Summer nights.





A NY Turtle napping with a NY Goose!  I did see some Goslings...but they scrambled down a hill and with my still-shaky knee, I couldn't follow.






I love this view of the BACK of the Metropolitan Museum....it's a Pyramid, because it houses the Egyptian Collections..

The building is under construction....but Barney Greengrass is OPEN....here, you get the BEST breakfasts in town...bagels, lox. sturgeon.... my Ex and I ALWAYS went here...



KJ...I took this for you....  (darn, it came out blurred and incomplete)...this is a window display in a florist shop....a Garden Party....with a Wabbitt (Emily.... shamelessly posing in the window) having tea!  The pink, is a ribbon that dangles from her ears....which I missed......  I should have taken two shots!
Emily adores New York!!  A-ha-ha!


This is Part 1 of my photos......more tomorrow!


I missed you all!

Love,

♥ Robin ♥

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for this fabulous, exciting and personal tour of your favorite NYCity spots. I'm so glad you went and had a beautiful time. You must be beaming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic photos! I am enthralled by the greenery and passages you've highlighted to introduce new York city to your friends and visitors here. Lush and beautiful and intimately special to you. Xoxo

    You've taken some very wonderful shots, robin. I can see why your lake is so special

    And damned if Emily didn't work for jellies in the big apple! The pink ribbon is for some reason hilarious :-)

    Keep 'em coming!

    Love
    kj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lovely photos. I came earlier but my monitor was acting up so couldn't really see the beauty. I bought a new monitor last year and its a piece of junk. The company wasn't very helpful either so I fight this. But its working at the moment and I love all I see. Glad you got to see your Bofie. Look forward to seeing him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been to NY so was happy to travel with you through these great pix of places I have never even heard of.
    I missed you.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mangned to read this ....SIL can be here now any minute :)
    What delightful pictures!!! Even in the drizzle the park looks gorgeous!
    Felix and I did the park too and it started raining so we couldnt hire the bikes, but instead we sat at the boathouse and took a drink there and watched the water. central park is just magic! In the middle of the town!
    How great you could walk on your favorite spot again.
    You took some SF weather with you;)
    Happy to read .....................oops have to go now Will come back later :)
    ♥M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back again just drove my SIL and the twins to Middelburg.
    Before I go to bed I will read the rest of your posts and look at all your pictures :)

    ReplyDelete